Office of Student Affairs
Welcome from the Dean of Students
Welcome to Tiffin University! It is my pleasure and privilege to serve as your Dean of Students. The Office of Student Affairs is committed to high quality and excellence while serving as the primary advocate for student life and helping you take full advantage of the countless resources available to you both in and out of the classroom. Over the past years, Tiffin University has experienced unprecedented growth and development while maintaining the student-centered approach whether on-campus, online, or at a satellite campus both in Ohio and around the globe. We believe in the mission of transforming lives through education while appreciating the cultural uniqueness of all individuals set forth in our Guiding Principles.
Tiffin University is a special place of higher learning where you can explore and develop your passions and dreams, grow as a person, and make lifelong friendships. Our spirit and energy will be a key facet of your development as a member of the Tiffin University community. This is an exciting time to join the Dragon Nation and to become an integral part of one of the best institutions of higher learning in America that has all of the great qualities of small university but the amenities of a larger school. Ultimately, your success in college depends on one single person and that is YOU! We are honored that you have chosen Tiffin University as the next step in your educational journey.
I invite you to become actively involved in campus life and experience all of the great events, activities, and gatherings that the university offers. Join me in supporting our intercollegiate athletic teams, arts and music performances, and community service opportunities throughout your time here at Tiffin. Our number one priority is to serve our students with pride, passion, and resolution. We will strive to make the student experience at Tiffin University an enriching one that will last a lifetime. GO DRAGONS!
Get to know the Dean of Students
Name: Michael Herdlick
Current Roles: Dean of Students and Assistant Professor of Mathematics at Tiffin University
Previous Roles: served in a number of capacities including Adjunct Professor, Instructor of Mathematics and Director of Institutional Research
Started at TU: 2001
Degrees & Certificates: B.A. in Mathematics and Liberal Arts from Malone University in Canton, Ohio, M.S. in Mathematics from New Mexico Tech in Socorro, New Mexico, Graduate Certificates in Institutional Research from Florida State University and a Student Affairs/Higher Education Administration from Colorado State University.
The Mission of the Dean of Students
- Chief student advocate for the University, assisting them in successful transition to college life
- Promote the Guiding Principles for the student body to transform their lives
- Design and enhance student leadership opportunities in various modalities at both the undergraduate and graduate level
- Collaborate and support the functions of academic and non-academic areas by bridging all departments
- Assess the educational and social experiences of students in order to improve institutional programs
- Provide and interpret information about students during the development and modification of institutional policies, services, and practices
- Effectively manage the human, technical and fiscal resources for which the office of Student Affairs is responsible
- Encourage development of friendships among students and a sense of community within the institution
- Help students appreciate the cultural uniqueness of all campus community members
- Encourage faculty-student interaction in programs and activities
- Support and advance institutional values by developing and enforcing behavioral standards for students
- Provide programs and services for students who want to improve their study skills